Newsletters. Customer community programs. Premium memberships. Local events. They’re all on the rise.
The 2010s were about radically open social media platforms — a gigantic, unmanageable mess.
Next 10 years? The pendulum swings back. Niche communities of interest & purpose.
This session explores how we got here, and how we can learn from the past to find our way forward.
Are you a creator? You’ll learn how to turn your audience into a community.
Business owner? Find new growth through community marketing.
Nonprofit? Embrace community to further your mission.
Hi! I’m Andy.
I started working on community projects in the late 90’s with fansites and forums, a hobby I kept up through high school and college.
After graduating from college, I started organizing local in-person meetups and unconferences.
In 2015 I joined GoDaddy as a Community Manager for their web designer & developer partner program.
I’ve worked content and community programs ever since.
This session compiles a decade worth of thoughts & experience into a single package.
Key Take Aways
- History of online communities, from dial-up BBSes to today
- Sustainable community models; governance & moderation; community platforms
- For creators, transforming your audience into a community
- For businesses, finding growth through community marketing
- For nonprofits & activists, embracing community to further your mission