Are you new to podcasting or want to start a podcast but don’t know where to begin? Once you post your podcasts, do you have questions about how to build your listener base? This session may not answer all your questions, but it will definitely give you a chance to discuss your issues and concerns. This will be a facilitated, discussion-based session. If you are looking for a polished lecture replete with formulaic answers, this is not the session for you.
This session will be led by Bill Templeman, a facilitator & consultant by trade and a volunteer program host with Trent Radio, 92.7 FM in Peterborough. As the host of Pints & Politics, a podcast about all things political, he has posted 75 podcast episodes and counting, mostly panel discussions (https://pintsandpolitics.ptbopodcasters.ca/) since May of 2018. His focus is on the content as opposed to the technology. He owes his survival as a podcaster to the volunteers at Trent Radio and at Peterborough Independent Podcasters. In this session he wants to host a discussion about growing an audience.
Key Take Aways
- Focus and branding: How to build an identity for your podcast
- How to use social media as a marketing tool for podcasts
- How to create more listenable podcasts: Duration, preventing discussion fatigue, pacing, the use of musical interludes, brevity of comments, show don't describe.
- How to become a community resource: Responding to requests for shows, encouraging others to be your producers by finding panelists
- How to develop a podcast idea: Script writing for beginners. Preparing for the unexpected. Responding to the news.